Saturday, May 10, 2008

Make mine polka dot

There they go again...these people on HGTV walk into a house they're looking at at exclaim with relief "Oh yeah, that's great, the kitchen has hardwoods, stainless and granite counter tops." I just don't get it. I went to a private girls high school where we wore uniforms and yearned for those occasional "free dress days" where we could go wild with our wardrobe selections--well, as long as you didn't hike up your skirt to your waistband--but the point was, we liked to be different after looking like everybody else all week. Now it seems like some "principal" has declared that all kitchens wear the same uniform, and the public is buying it--literally! Just for once, I'd like Mr. and Mrs. first time homebuyer to walk into that kitchen and say "You know, I was really hoping for leopard print formica countertops, can we get some of those? Or, maybe some good old fashioned vinyl floors, that actually are made to take pitchers of orange juice your toddler spills at 9pm and you don't discover till the next morning. I guess I'm just too old for this mass trance of remodeling. I've seen too much. It really wasn't that long ago we were looking for our first house and the fancy schmanchy homeowners all ran out to update with---textured almond appliances with pouffy window "treatments" in country blue and mauve. Yep, I'm holding on to my fix-it-up dollars and waiting till this all passes and we see what the next kitchen "uniform" looks like. Personally--I'm really counting on the leopard look to be the one.

No comments: