Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Looking back

I can't believe it. Kelley and I were almost run over yesterday morning. The bus comes at 7:55 am and somehow I just can't get used to that, and I keep thinking it comes at 8, so we just stood there, coats on and everything in the kitchen, as it rolls by. If we reeeeeeealy hurried we could race to the top of the street and catch it on it's way out of the neighborhood. So we ran. I had on a bright red raincoat, and as we're approaching a driveway, our neighbor backs out and almost hits us. I think he looked back once, but I'm not sure. Thank goodness we jumped out of the way in time, and even caught the bus, but it really scared me. It made me start looking at the way cars are designed and I notice that so many cars have those head rests across the back seats. How many adults are actually hauling around other adults or tall children that need those head rests? Can they be removed? For sure, they have to be blocking people's ability to see behind them, and for what? Back in the olden days when I was a new driver, cars never had those. I'm also frustrated, being a rather short person, at how much the car manufacturers are raising the level of the back window. Have you noticed that? How can anybody see out back there? I think I'll try and do some research on how many accidents there have been from backing into people. This is such a safety issue, and if a tall guy can miss seeing an adult in a bright red raincoat, what about a child's chances of being seen? Another crusade!

Kelley quote after we attended a Christmas concert: "Mom, why do we have to stand up during the 'Holiday-loo-ya" Chorus?

1 comment:

Constance said...

My hunny is a Defensive Driving Instructor for the BNSF Railway (among other things).

The ideal thing to do is to either pull through to a parking spot or to back into your spot, EVERY single time! No one in our family pulls into our driveway, we always back in. It takes a couple of extra seconds to do this but as Dave always says,
"Don't spend safety to save time!"
Connie