Tuesday, June 12, 2007

We've Been Talking To Your Neighbors......

I can't believe it just happened again. There's a loud knock at the front door, and I race upstairs like I always do, assuming it's someone I know, or actually want to talk to. Or maybe the muscle bound electric company workers wanting me to move my car again. But, no. It's two overly cheerful guys with clipboards and the same ole familiar phrase. "We have some appointments with your neighbors this week and we're..."
"Stop!!" I interrupted. "Let me guess.Windows?"

They actually looked surprised. How did I know? Well, maybe because it's like ...the FIFTH time this month I've had the same visitors. Well, not actually the same exact visitors, but guys with clipboards, wanting to give me quotes on new windows, and who ALL reported having appointments with my neighbors. What I don't get is WHY they aren't over at these neighbors if they have so many appointments with them? Is our street on some kind of crazy internet list out there, advertising homes with the shabbiest looking windows? Is there some kind of statistic that says the tenth time you knock and talk the owner will finally cave and sign up for $20,000 in tempered glass and frames? I don't get it. Why do these guys think "We've been talking to your neighbors" is a persuasive sales technique? Maybe I should have asked them to point out "which neighbors?" Was it the one who had the political sign out for the guy I thought was sleaze-ball nut case? Or maybe the one who starts his diesel truck every Saturday morning at 5am? Yeah. I shoulda asked. Hmm, maybe I should actually consider this a little more. Who knows....with better windows, I could see even more of what's going on out there in the neighborhood, or at least spot the next two guys peddling something with clipboards...in time to hide.

2 comments:

Constance said...

If you want to ask him, something tells me that you'll get your chance. After all, they keep stopping by! Ha Ha!
Connie

Pam said...

Funny as always...

I'll remember this each time we get the same knock on the door!